Raven was recently issued a patent for use of its field modulation techniques in conjunction with special single-pole type generators which offer significant advantages when coupled with a class of very high speed micro turbines:
- Direct generation of high quality AC output without any rectification, filtering or electronic processing of the output current.
- Elimination of inverters which are problematic at high power levels.
- Elimination of diode rectifiers and associated heat loss.
- Inherent capability for handling reactive loads without complicating electronics.
- Output frequency and amplitude are field controlled and not a function of shaft speed.
- Provides the flexibility of variable speed engine operation supporting strategies around fuel efficiency, noise, weight, absence of gearing.